Pages


Thursday, April 21, 2011

R is for

is for
Radnor Lake
Spring Break in Nashville (con't)

Radnor Lake State Park is a 1200+ acre Natural Reserve in the heart of Nashville.  LS (Little Sister) and I stopped at Radnor twice during my stay, walking two of the four trails.  One all around the 85 acre lake and the other a paved road that runs along the lake.  The paved road closed to cars is a pedestrian walkway only.  All four of the trails are now open having been  repaired from the havoc wrecked by the Floods of last spring .

This is a beautiful park teeming with wildlife.  On our first walk we spotted a wild turkey strutting in the woods and turtles sunning on rocks at the lakes edge.  There were beaver dams sprinkled about the lake, but I didn't spot any.    The trees gnarled branches still bare, but birdsong filled the air announcing the arrival of Spring.


Walking Trail around the Lake.Wikipedia photo

A Visitor's Centre houses historical photographs, displays and an informative video on the history of the Park's construction by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company in 1914.

There was a trail LS threatened promised to take me on, Ganier Ridge Trail, but alas we ran out of time.  Whew!  LS's glee describing the "Ridge" made me wonder if  the desire to bring me on this trail was peppered with a touch of LS Revenge!


Radnor Lake, Wikipedia photo


Radnor Lake is a favorite spot of LS and family and it is easy to see why.  An all year round beautiful spot abundant with wildlife right in the centre of the city.   

18 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Looks gorgeous, Ann!

Old Kitty said...

Hooraaah for Radnor Lake!! What a sanctuary to go to in the middle of a city - yay!!! I hope the wild turkeys are left in peace? Yay!!

Next time I hope your LS gets to take you on the Ridge Trail! ;-)

Take care
x

Anonymous said...

Looks exactly like my favouite place to be. Lovely :O)

Heather M. Gardner said...

I love this tour!

Renae said...

That place looks gorgeous!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I wish I could go there! Too cold right now to do anything though. Dreaming of warm spring weather...
*sigh*

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

N. R. Williams said...

You are so lucky to have this relationship with your sister. My sister is so competitive that any other member of the family who has a measure of success is treated to jealousy an belittling comments. Oh well, life doesn't stop for her.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

E. M. Prokop said...

Hey Ann! I'm a new follower..I found you through the comment you left on Jan Morrison's post about Rhythm...it made perfect sense to me! Your blog looks lovely...I'm doing that challenge thing too..it's fun isn't it?! It's hard sometimes to come up with subjects, but so far I'm having a blast! Good to 'meet' you Ann..

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ann .. loved learning about Radnor Lake and the various trails .. I'd have chickened out of the Ridge one!! The space and the different creatures you get to see (or not as the case maybe!) ..

Wonderful to have that camaraderie with your sister .. cheers and have a Happy Easter whichever side of the pond you're on .. Hilary

Karen Lange said...

It sounds absolutely wonderful! Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

Robyn Campbell said...

What a lovely place to plop down with the laptop and write. *jealous* We have a creek that runs down the middle of our farm, but somehow it lacketh the beauty of your lake. We have wild turkeys too. The horses stare at them like they're thinking, what in the world are you, anyway? That's how they look at our chickens too. They stare in at the hens and the rooster (yup, he haz a harem) and fall asleep. :-)

E. M. Prokop said...

thanks for following me Ann..have a fantastic long weekend!

Hart Johnson said...

It looks fabulous! I love places like that!

Theresa Milstein said...

Ann, it looks lovely there. There's something about being in nature by the water that's soul-lifting.

Unknown said...

Ooh, that picture looks positively magical!

Samantha Vérant said...

Beuatiful! I love walking trails too!

Jules said...

You so make me want to visit Nashville :) Thanks for the caring comment last week. I'm getting back to normal!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Unknown said...

I could see myself sitting on that bench and looking out at the lake and writing. But then I would be imagining a killer in the woods (because I'm a mystery writer) and I'd have to make a run for it. What a great place to write!