Pages


Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for Clock



You would think after the many times I have done this I would be more careful. But alas, it seems this lesson is too often forgotten.

I finished sorting what to put into the suitcase and then taking things out again. My bag was packed and boarding pass printed. My laptop, kindle and mobile phone sat all charged up and ready to go. It was nearly midnight and I had an early start in the morning.

I had it all figured out. Flight at 9AM….an hour and a half to get to the airport. Be there an hour before flight time. To give myself a little wiggle room, leaving the house by 6:15AM seemed sensible. So, I set my Clock for 5AM. Plenty of time for a shower; primping hair; putting on makeup and a leisurely breakfast.

On the morning of departure I woke with a start. I looked at the alarm Clock and the neon green numbers screamed 6:00AM. I bolted out of the bed, grabbed my clothes and headed for the shower, cursing myself under my breath. Yes I had done it again….I had set the Clock to 5:00 alright….5:00PM!!!

I ran the brush through my hair and slapped on some moisturizer as I raced down the stairs. Husband had coffee in the travel mugs and a few biscuits in his hand. We got out the door at 6:20 breathless but miraculously only 5 minutes behind schedule.

22 comments:

Jules said...

LOL. I usually set it and forget to turn it on. I might add you sure had an adventure just getting to the plane :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Trisha said...

Oh dear. 5:00 pm is a time I USED to get up at in my old life. lol

Old Kitty said...

LOL!!! Oh Ann!!!! That's so funny!! But well done you for getting ready and out at 5 minutes behind schedule!! That's just super amazing! Oh but it's so funny!!!! :-)

Take care
x

Lola Sharp said...

A husband with biscuits and travel mugs of coffee ready is a keeper! :)

Talli Roland said...

Oh NO! This is my worst nightmare. I always double-check my alarm a zillion times!

Rosalind Adam said...

I'm with Talli on this one. I always check the alarm over and over for something as early and as important as this. But now I'm wondering if you remembered to turn it off before leaving the house or did the neighbours hear a continual and quite irritating beeping at teatime that day?

Claudie A. said...

Oh gosh, I've done this so often I stopped counting! The sudden panic when I realise I'm going to be late is enough to kill my heart. XD

Jan Morrison said...

I'm lucky - my internal clock works to the minute. I just set it by looking at the time before I go to sleep. Yours probably does too - which is why you woke when you did. Just refine it a bit and you'll be fine without those pesky alarms!
fun post!
Jan Morrison

Misha Gerrick said...

Oooh that's happened to me too, once. But I also managed to get everything done in record time.

^_^

Regina said...

Wow, quick turn around. I don't think that I could have done that. Good thing that you woke up when you did. Hope you have a safe trip. :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't that maddening. I've done this many times, too. But I've gotten better at it lately.
So glad you did make your flight!
Ann Best, Long Journey Home

Zan Marie said...

LOL! That's why I let my husband be in charge of setting the clock. After all, it's on *his* side of the bed. ; )

J E Fritz said...

Oh no! Darn those am/pm lights. I wish I had a 24-hour time clock. Then I wouldn't have to worry about five p.m.

Sue said...

Jan's right, one's internal alarm is great, but I have a timer set for security, one of those tiny ones, so no need to remember about daylight savings, different time zones etc. It counts down the hours you can sleep. I'm usually awake before it goes off!
Sue@traverselife

The Words Crafter said...

Oh! Oh! OH!!! I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing!!! And it makes the whole day seem off.

I'm glad (and impressed) that you made it, and only 5 minutes behind. Wow!

I won't ask how fast you were driving, lol!

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Oh no!!!! I'm be cursing too...hehehe

Doris

Samantha Vérant said...

Speaking of clocks...I've now just realized we get Sundays off. And ugh. I've done that way too many times! Glad you made your flight.

Jeff Beesler said...

Clocks can be almost as dangerous as some of our other implements of destruction, i.e. guns, knives, or even the threat posed by a randomly tossed unabridged dictionary.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

oh dear I've done that several times. My 8 year old is always playing with her alarm and quite often we get woken up at 3am!

Val B said...

"C"- clever,comical,congratulations on commencing your commute concisely!

Áine Tierney said...

This has happened to me so often Ann! You sound like a woman well able to get ready in a hurry when the screws are on. I'm the same. Glad it all worked out!

Áine Tierney said...

just posted a comment but it disappeared! Glad it all worked out Ann. I've often made that mistake myself. I have to be on time or I get very paniced - I'm so punctual that I waste a load of my own time being too early for things.