Pages


Monday, April 11, 2011

I is for

is for
"IN THE HEIGHTS"

Spring Break in Nashville (con’t.)


Little Sister booked tickets to the musical "IN THE HEIGHTS." What a treat. If you thought Nashville was only the centre for Country Music you would be wrong…..dead wrong.

"IN THE HEIGHTS" ran on Broadway for three years and won four Tony Awards.  It played its final Broadway performance on January 9, 2011. The final tour performance was April 3, 2011.

"IN THE HEIGHTS," tour performance in Nashville just happened to be the same week of my Spring Break visit.

"This lively musical’s score includes rap, hip-hop, salsa and merengue.  Similar in feel to traditional musicals like Fiddler on the Roof, painting a portrait of a community that is experiencing internal growing pains while the outside world closes in."


"IN THE HEIGHTS" was written by Lin-Manuel Miranda while in his sophomore year at Wesleyan University. It is the story of a vibrant multicultural neighbourhood,  narrated by the cafe con leche-selling Usnavi.  Camilla and Kevin Rosario struggle to make ends meet running a gypsy cab service, while dreaming of bigger things for their daughter Nina, a freshman at Stanford University. Meanwhile Nina and her parents’ African-American employee, Benny, have fallen for each other despite her parents’ protestations, and she’s running out of cash to stay in college. Then there’s Usnavi’s lottery-loving surrogate grandmother, Abuela Claudia; his ambitious but debt-burdened crush, Vanessa; and his cousin, Sonny, a wannabe ladies’ man."


13 comments:

Jules said...

WOW, never been to anything Broadway. On my list though :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time. I quite like country music. Have recently discovered a beautiful singer who calls herself Rumer.

CJ xx

Old Kitty said...

Wow - sounds toe tapping fabulous with a great story too!! Yay!!

Take care
x

Rosalind Adam said...

I've not heard of that one. Wonder if it's showing in the UK. It sounds excellent.

Talei said...

Wow, that sounds like a great show! I would love to see it. ;)

nutschell said...

I love musicals. I wish the show would stop by in LA. MAybe I'll get to see it.
nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Ellie Garratt said...

I've never heard of this show. I must google it!

Ellie Garratt

Jan Morrison said...

that sounds great - nearly as good as Death, the musical!
Jan Morrison

Melissa Sarno said...

I saw this on Broadway and loved it! Such fun music and a great storyline (which some musicals lack I think) Glad you got to see it in Nashville!!

Jemi Fraser said...

I love pretty much all musicals - this one sounds terrific!

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Oh... how fun!!!!

Doris

KM Nalle said...

I have never heard of this one! I'm going to have to look it up. It sounds really fun.

Anonymous said...

I've never been to a broadway show. I want to see one and an opera too. I've been to a ballet once - Swan Lake.