Pages


Saturday, April 9, 2011

H is for Hat





Spring Break in Nashville (con’t.)


I decided before I left the Northern Wilds of Wisconsin that Nashville was the place for me to shop for an outfit for my son's wedding. On previous visits to Nashville I noticed the shops had a wonderful selection of day dresses, evening wear etc. Oh and Hats. Northern Wisconsin not so good!

Shopping is not one of LS’s (Little Sister) favorite past times but she graciously indulged me and took me around to a number of little boutiques. I love boutiques. It reminded me of day tripping in Ireland. Actually for one small moment I thought I was perusing the boutiques and interesting little shops in Cork or Waterford! Until a salesperson spoke, the accent was a dead giveaway!

There are so many little and interesting shops to gush about....But this is H for Hat, so I am going to focus.

Our last shop stop was The Cotton Mill, in Green Hills. I walked into this shop and I saw hats. Heaven! A bounty of Hats and dresses. There were too many dresses to my liking. My flexible friend groaned. Sadly I had to go into elimination mode. I put on my Simon Cowell face.

The time had come for a Hat. After all that was my main mission. I tried on a variety of Hats. Loved them all.....LS informed very Helpful salesperson Brittany, she had never known an event in my life when a Hat wasn't involved. Adding our mission, an Ascot type Hat. Brittany didn't blink an eye...so we presumed she got our meaning.

After finding the perfect Hat I realized I had a problem. How to get Hat and dress back to Northern Wisconsin in all its perfect glory. Wonderful Brittany, suggested shipping. My dilemma solved, my flexible friend exhausted and in shock, I exited The Cotton Mill one Happy little future Mother-in-Law shopper!

Hat and dress arrived at my door a few days later in a HUGE box. Enclosed with foam and bubble wrapped Hat and tissue wrapped dress was a lovely note card from Brittany, professing her delight that I had found the perfect Hat for #3's wedding.

Some of my life in hats:





Child #1 (son)

Child #2 (daughter)
Child #3 (son)
LS, MS and me


Child #4 (son)
LS wedding


19 comments:

Little Sister said...

So glad they got there in one piece and that you still love them, love the photos, lots of memories there!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

When I was young, how I loved hats! Hats with veils that made me feel mysterious, big floppy, fun hats, prissy pillbox hats, perky little sailor's caps. Nowadays, I have a bright yellow rainhat and a couple hats for wearing in the sun, but I kinda miss the days when going downtown meant wearing a hat, hihg heels, and white gloves.

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Oh my... lovely hats. I have never worn a dressy hat. I have tried some, but I feel weird, and that's enough to give up my stylish intentions...lol

Doris

Heather M. Gardner said...

I love ladies who can pull off hats! We only see them around here at Easter time.
Great pictures and posts.

FilmMattic said...

Great post! I was beginning to think every female blog I discovered would reveal another "H is for Hair" theme (though nothing is wrong with that theme). I like the Hat idea.

For me, I love fedoras and a nice backwards baseball cap. That's my personal style.

Brigid O'Connor said...

Lovely story Ann and great hats, I wouldn't have recognised you in some of those photos.
Congrats on the next wedding in your family, you are a busy lady! Are you getting to Ireland this year? Bx

Anonymous said...

Fun post with terrific pics. I definitely need to stay tuned...Ireland is on my bucket list!

niamh said...

love the photos - hats suit you! I'd love to see your Simon Cowell face!

Plain Jane said...

I have always wanted to be a hat person but never had the style or class to pull it off. Lucky you!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I love the last hat! I really enjoy buying and wearing hats too. :)

Ellie Garratt said...

Bless. That was a beautiful post and great pictures, too.

Ellie Garratt

KM Nalle said...

I love hats and I think they aren't worn enough. Fun post!

walk2write said...

Very becoming hats, and you look like you were born to wear them. The only time I seem to wear a hat is when I garden or to protect the ears during the winter (yes, it does get cold in northwest Florida). Maybe it's because I don't get to dress up very often. It seems like that's the only time it's acceptable to wear one. Not enough fancy celebrations around here!

Theresa Milstein said...

Look at all those stylish hats.

I thought I'd see more hats at the Irish wedding I went to last year.

Anonymous said...

Oh you look gorgeous in hats. I dont wear hats, my nose is too big and that's all you can see. hehe

Anonymous said...

I love hats, and I have to say, you look lovely in them!

Marsha Young said...

Well, I'm not much of a shopper, but I do love hats.

Also recognized a street in Ireland in one of your photos, as we just got home from Ireland two weeks ago. Plan to visit you more often. ...Marsha
(And your title is almost an amalgam of mine and my daughter's blogs. Mine is Spots and Wrinkles and her's is The Quiet Quill.) :)

Samantha Vérant said...

Those photos are awesome! And, for you, h is definitely for hats! Man, I need more hats. Wait, I need A HAT! (winter and baseball caps don't count!)

Jan Morrison said...

I love hats too. I got a perfect one for when I met the queen this past summer. Well I didn't really meet her but I was in a small crowd and so on. It was called a facinator and was just a bit of veil and feather perched on the side of my head. I liked it.
nice hats!